Date of Hike: 10/23/10Piper Trail: 4.3 miles
Liberty Trail: 1.2 miles
Hammond Trail: .9
Weetamoo Trail: 2.0 miles
Piper Trail: .6 miles
Total Miles 9.0 miles (2,800 elevation gain)
- After spending the past two weekends on vacation in Italy it was time to head back to the White Mountains and try to sneak in one last hike without traction!
- Accompanying me on this trip were three of my friends from back in the day growing up in Lincoln RI, Matt (now living in Colorado), Nasser (Boston/Philly) and Brad (NYC).
- It had been over ten years since our last hike together (Up Huntington Ravine with my dad and our Golden Retriever Teddy) and I was hoping to take them up Jefferson via Caps Ridge and Castle Trails or do the classic Franconia Ridge loop. However over the past two weeks while I was away the higher elevations became ice and snow capped which made for the perfect opportunity to hit up Mount Chocorua, one of the sub 4,000 foot peaks with a view, AKA "52-With-A-View."
- On trail at 9am, summit 12pm, finished 3pm. Temps in the 40's, clear skies with 60 miles plus visibility, 25 mph wind gusts out of the NW.
- It was easy going along most of the Piper Trail as the grades are easy with very good footing through the woods with some pretty good foliage for late October.
- The Piper Trail steepens the last 1.5 miles where the footing becomes rougher and passes through a couple of open ledges below the ridge then becomes completely exposed for the last few tenths of a mile once gaining the ridge ascending the summit.
- Views below and on the summit where incredible as there were no clouds in the ski providing great 360 degree views.
- The summit was pretty busy with lots of hikers enjoying the great views of Mount Passaconaway, Whiteface, and all the way north past Hancock and Carrigain Notch to the Presidential Range.
- After taking a break to refuel and warm up out of the wind on the summit we headed down the Liberty Trail past the John Liberty Cabin over to the Hammond trail and out the Weetamoo Trail through picturesque Hemlock groves.
- As usual it was a great day in the White Mountains catching up with old friends on a mountain that's perfect for all hikers!
Hiking Along the Piper Trail
Iona Lake and Whitton Pond
Mount Paugus, Passaconaway, and Whiteface
Brad, Nasser, Matt, & Myself
on Mount Chocorua Summit
Jim Liberty Cabin