No Views for this Dood . . . Mount Moosilauke (NH 4k #1,900)

Date of Hike: 2/4/21

Ravine Lodge Road / Gorge Brook Trail: 8.6 miles / 2,943' elevation gained

Trip Report:
- Thursday morning Sarge and I got up early to try and catch the clouds clearing off Mount Moosilauke while continuing our 2021 winter goal of avoiding breaking trail at all costs.  Unfortunately there was no undercast but the trail was definitely broken out, so we considered it a win.
- Since the weather was iffy above treeline, we decided to ascend the summit from Ravine Lodge Road via the Gorge Brook Trail to limit our time above the trees just in case visibility was bad. 
- Along the way we passed a solo hiker along the road and two more at the last reliable water source sign around 3300'.  Shortly after passing the two hikers I put on my snowshoes when the trail became choppy from previous day postholers.  I did my best to smooth the trail out but it was to no avail as when I came back down there were a few more hikers chopping it up a bit, still the trail isn't in too bad a shape.
- When Sarge and I hit treeline visibility became an immediate issue, even though I've done this short 0.25 burst to the summit several times, I played it save by scraping the snow off rocks and krummholz every ten to twenty feet so I had some bread crumbs to follow back down from the summit to the safety of the trees.    
- It was pretty wild and quite the rush making my way to the rime covered summit sign, Sarge loved every second of it, sniffing the wind every time a big gust came blowing across the hard packed snow, and his floppy ears froze to his face for a split second as he wagged his tail in delight.
- On the summit I took a pic of Sarge and then quickly headed down before the rocks I swiped clean became covered in wind swept snow again.  Having the rocks visible made the descent back to safety really easy, if I hadn't done this I would have made it back to the trees but it would have been a stressful few minutes trying to find the entrance back into the trees.
- Once below treeline we jogged back down to ravine lodge road eventually making it to the Jeep as the skies were trying to clear up high above.
- I'm happy to report winter is finally here in the White Mountains!

Sarge can't read so I told him to go up for cookie mountain

Sarge crosses over a well placed footbridge on the Gorge Brook Trail

Hiking up into a winter wonderland

Usually there is a good view from here, but not today!

When we broke above treeline visibility was an issue

To make sure I had an easier time finding my way back to treeline after summiting I swiped the snow off rocks and krummholz often on my way up.  This is looking back down to treeline with the "bread crumbs" I left

Just take the pick and let's GTFOOH

The wind blew Sarge's floppy ears into his face and at times they would freeze to his face, he didn't seem to mind!

Right before reaching treeline, I made sure on the way up to clear off the sign and a rock to the right of it to make for easy navigation

Sarge scampers by a cairn almost buried in snow

Alpine vegetation sign 

Sarge sniffing the wind, a favorite pastime of his!

The sun tries to come out but it was only a tease

Sarge passes by the sign notifying hikers of the last sure water source

Moosilauke Ravine Lodge

No comments:

Post a Comment