North and South Kinsman

Date of Hike: 2/18/12

Lonesome Lake Trail: 1.6 miles
Fishin' Jimmy Trail: 2.0 miles
Kinsman Ridge Trail: 2.8 miles
Fishin' Jimmy Trail: 2.0 miles
Lonesome Lake Trail: 1.6 miles
Total Miles: 10.0 miles (elevation gain 3,800 feet)
Click here for trail descriptions

Trip Report:
- One of the great things about not focusing on a list of mountains to hike this year is being able to just get up and hike whatever comes to mind.
- Last month I had hiked the Kinsmans and was socked in for views, I was hoping to hike them again this winter with better visibility for some views.
- Since I was in no hurry I headed up a little later than usual and the lot was full so I had to park across the road at the Old Bridle Path/Falling Waters Trailhead and walk under the highway over to the Lonesome Lake Trail.
- Views were pretty good from the summit today, with clouds and sun mixing in, the Franconia Ridge was clearing off and the views made it a fun hike.
- The hike down was uneventful, I Stopped at Lonesome lake for more pictures and contemplated hiking across the lake as others were doing but I wimped out and just went around like usual and then headed back to the car.

 Lonesome Lake Hut

 Mount Liberty and Flume from South Kinsman Summit

 Lonesome Lake, cannon Mountain, and the Franconia Ridge

Lonesome Lake, the hut, and the Kinsman Ridge

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get back out on the Kinsman Ridge this winter, think I'm heading there this weekend myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, as always, I love your first-class photos! But I do know that trip reports are not all about the photos. I equally enjoy reading your narratives which are crisp, concise and to the point!

    And regarding walking across Lonesome Lake, I was up there just a few days ago, and just like you, I also opted to take the trail. Especially in winter, I really don't think that the trail takes much (if any) longer, and I feel a whole bunch better about it! :)

    John

    ReplyDelete