Mount Moosilauke

Date of Hike: 11/29/09

Gorge Brook Trail: 3.7 miles
Glencliff Trail: .9 miles
Moosilauke Carriage Trail: 1.2 miles
Snapper Trail: 1.1.miles
Gorge Brook trail: .6 miles
Total Miles: 7.5 (elevation gain 2,600)


Trip Report:
- Left RI at 5am, trailhead at 8am, on trail at 8:30am, finished at 12:15pm
- Weather was great below 4,000 feet, no wind and great visibility.  Once above treeline it was a different world, 50 feet visibility, wind gusts up to 60 MPH, blowing surface snow, and thigh deep snow drifts in spots
- My camelbak leaked all over my backpack on the ride up, somehow I didn't close it properly and lost half my water soaking the back of my backpack.  To not soak myself and freeze to death I had to wear my winter rain/wind pullover, which worked...to well, I began to heat up and sweat so I couldn't stop that much or I'd run the chance of getting chilled, So i went up and down the mountain pretty quickly considering the conditions during the morning
- Gorge Brook trail had been broken out the day before by 1 brave person so I was able to place my boots in everyone of their steps until above treeline.  This saved me about an hour of hiking and having to break trail!
- I ran into people doing the loop in the opposite way on my way down so the trail past Glencliff trail (AT) was broken out very nicely
- Summit sign had frozen packed snow hanging 3 feet sideways off of it (see pic below), I tried to break it off but I could only get within a half foot of packed snow and the rest wouldn't budge
- Dartmouth Outing Club does a great job maintaining the trails and all the signs, however the road wasn't plowed to get to the trailhead which if you didn't have 4 wheel drive would be dicey
- Should have started hiking later in the day, the summit cleared off around 1pm, I would have been in clear skies with light wind above treeline with some great views all around

Pictures: Click here to view all pictures

Footbridge crossing the Gorge Brook
Gorge Brook Trail
Approaching treeline
Mount Moosilauke Summit
Views from Moosilauke Carriage Road
Snapper Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment