Mount Moosilauke

Date of Hike: 11/29/09

Gorge Brook Trail: 3.7 miles
Glencliff Trail: .9 miles
Moosilauke Carriage Trail: 1.2 miles
Snapper Trail: 1.1.miles
Gorge Brook trail: .6 miles
Total Miles: 7.5 (elevation gain 2,600)

Trip Report:

- Left RI at 5am, trailhead at 8am, on trail at 8:30am, finished at 12:15pm
- Weather was great below 4,000 feet, no wind and great visibility.  Once above treeline it was a different world, fifty feet visibility, wind gusts up to 40 MPH, blowing surface snow, and thigh deep snow drifts in spots
- My camelbak leaked all over my backpack on the ride up, somehow I didn't close it properly and lost half my water soaking the back of my backpack.  To not soak myself and freeze to death I had to wear my winter rain/wind pullover, which worked...to well, I began to heat up and sweat so I couldn't stop that much or I'd run the chance of getting chilled, So I went up and down the mountain quickly considering the conditions during the morning
- Gorge Brook trail had been tracked out the day before by one brave soul so I was able to place my boots in everyone of their steps until above treeline.  This saved me about an hour of hiking and having to break trail!
- I ran into people doing the loop in the opposite way on my way down so the trail past Glencliff Trail (AT) was broken out very nicely
- Summit sign had frozen packed snow hanging three feet sideways off of it (see pic below), I tried to break it off but I could only get within a half foot of packed snow and the rest wouldn't budge
- Dartmouth Outing Club does a great job maintaining the trails and all the signs, however the road wasn't plowed to get to the trailhead which if you didn't have four wheel drive would be dicey
- Should have started hiking later in the day, the summit cleared off around 1pm, I would have been in clear skies with light wind above treeline with some great views all around

Footbridge crossing the Gorge Brook

Gorge Brook Trail

Approaching treeline

Mount Moosilauke Summit

Views from Moosilauke Carriage Road

Snapper Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment